- To retrieve ALL the records of
postgraduate students’ dissertations and theses of the eight universities, simply leave the
search boxes blank,
and click on the “Search” button ( ). You can also narrow
your search by
Degree, Language, and
- Search words in ALL Search Fields are treated as
- You can cross-search the university library catalogues or institutional repositories of your choice by clicking the corresponding check boxes.
The eight universities that you can choose from
- Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK),
- City University of Hong Kong (CityU),
- Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU),
- Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU),
- Hong Kong University of Science & Technology (HKUST),
- Lingnan University (LU),
- University of Hong Kong (HKU),
- University of Macau (UM).
- Search Fields
- Narrow by other fields
- Sorting search results
Use “KEYWORD” to find records where the search words
are in any of the Author, Title, Subject,
fields, e.g. “primary school students” or “張愛玲”.
This search field finds keywords in the “Author”
names. Use the author’s surname and given name, do not
include initials. A search on “Joe Smith” is the same
as “Smith, Joe”.
Use “Title” when searching keywords in the titles of
the dissertation and theses.
“Subject” search finds keywords in the subject
headings of the records.
||Type in Words to
- Use "and" or "or" to specify
multiple words in any field, any order.
- Parentheses group words together when
using Boolean operators.
(alaska or canada) and (adventure
Chinese and novel
(中國 or 台灣) and 經濟
Narrow by other fields
- To search the departments in which the students were enrolled,
you can choose the keyword of "Department" names from the pull-down menu.
- "Department" search is not applicable to Lingnan University (LU).
- When you search using “ALL”, DTC will finds all
Master or Doctoral dissertations and theses.
- A “Doctoral’ or “Master” search is a keyword search on degree titles indexed in the records of library catalogues and institutional repositories. A search limit to “Doctoral” retrieves records containing the doctoral degree titles such as “Ph.D.” or “D.Ed”.
- The following table lists the doctoral degree
types in different universities as of Oct 1,
Doctoral Degree Offered
||D.M., Ed.D., M.D.,
|City University of
|HK University of
Science & Technology
|University of HK
|University of Macau
- A “Master” search retrieves all dissertations and theses written by postgraduate students who were not enrolled in the doctoral degrees listed above.
Note: If you find any discrepancy in the above
table or know any new postgraduate degree programmes
introduced in these eight universities, please
and we will update the table and search parameters
- “Language” refers to the languages used in the
texts, appendices, excerpts, etc. of the dissertations
and theses, please note that an English dissertation
containing Chinese poetry is treated as a work in
English and Chinese.
- Year (yyyy)
- This refers to the years the dissertations and
theses are submitted to the universities.
4. Sorting search results
- In reverse order by the year of submission to
- By alphabetical order for titles in western
languages and by internal unicodes for titles in
- Li, Yiu-On, and Irene S.M. Wong. "HKLIS
– Dissertations and Theses Collection (DTC), Its Search
Mechanism and Applications",
7th Annual Hong Kong
Innovative Users Group Conference, Hong Kong University
of Science and Technology, 11-12 Dec., 2006.
- Wong, S.M. Irene, and Yiu-On Li. "Creating
a Virtual Union Catalog for Hong Kong Dissertations
and Theses Collections",
27(2): 331-341, 2009.
Back to Search