Access to certain CNKI databases suspended from 1 April 2023

Section Banner

The collections and services of the HKBU Library are primarily intended for the staff and students of the University. However, there are some cases where those not affiliated with HKBU can access and use the Library’s services and resources.

Students/Faculty of other UGC-funded institutions

Eligible users from other UGC-funded institutions may apply for a JULAC Card. This card gives the holder access to all UGC-funded libraries in Hong Kong, including HKBU Library.

Please approach your own university’s library for information on how to apply for a JULAC card.

Special Entry Permission

The Library offers Special Entry Permission to outside scholars and students who can demonstrate a genuine research need for temporary access to the Library for reading purposes only. Such access is granted entirely at the discretion of the Library, for a maximum of five days.

To apply for Special Entry Permission, please contact the Library’s Information Services Section at

In your message, please include:

  • Your full name and institutional affiliation
  • Contact telephone number
  • The proposed date(s) of your visit
  • Details of your genuine need to access HKBU Library for research purposes

External Borrower Cards

For those external users with a genuine research need that requires access to the Library for more than one week, we offer external borrower cards for a fee.

Last updated: 12 October 2022