The Library is committed to providing services and facilities to accommodate users with special needs. It works closely with other units on campus (e.g. Office of Student Affairs) to create an accessible environment based on equal opportunity.
Upon request, users with special needs can be accompanied by a personal helper to assist in their use of the Library. Please inform duty staff at the entrance accordingly.
This entrance, located to the left of Shaw Tower on Junction Road, provides access to the Main Library and other facilities on the Shaw Campus.
The wheelchair-accessible gate is located at the Main Library entrance on Li Promenade. Please seek assistance from our duty staff if required.
The Main Library’s lift is equipped with Braille markers and an audible multilingual messaging system. It provides access to all public levels (Level 2 to Level 7). Directional tactile paving is installed along the path across the main entrance to the lift, as well as to the Special Needs User Room and the Multimedia Learning Centre on Level 4.
|Main Library||Level 2; Levels 4-7|
|Chinese Medicine Library||2/F, School of Chinese Medicine Building |
(Outside of the Chinese Medicine Library)
Main Library – Special Needs User Room
Equipped with assistive furniture and technology, the Special Needs User Rooms are located in Multimedia Learning Centre on Level 4 of the Main Library. The facilities include:
- Adjustable Furniture
- Tables and chairs with adjustable height are available for wheelchair users.
- Braille System
- Six Braille displays and two Braille printers are available for users with visual impairment.
- Chinese Input Software
- EasyDots (點寫易) designed for users with visual impairment.
- Magnifying Devices
- Both electronic and hand-held magnifiers are available to enlarge print materials.
- OCR and Braille Translation Software
- Supporting both Chinese and English, optical character recognition (OCR) software is available to convert text from scanned documents into machine-readable format. They can then be translated into Braille if necessary
- Printer, Scanner & Multimedia Equipment
- The study room is also equipped with its own printer, scanners, and multimedia equipment for convenient access
- Screen reading software
- Non-visual Desktop Access (NVDA) and JAWS help users with visual impairment navigate the computer desktop by synthesizing speech from on-screen text.
The service hours of the Special Needs User Rooms are the same as the service hours of the Main Library. For enquiries or special arrangements, please call 3411-5239 or email@example.com.
Users with disabilities will be given priority at the service counters of both libraries.
Appointments can be arranged to assist users with special needs in utilizing Library resources and services.
Library Contact Points
|Main Library||Miss Chung (3411-2710 / firstname.lastname@example.org)|
Mr Tsui (3411-5283 / email@example.com)
|Chinese Medicine Library||Duty counter staff (3411-2714 / firstname.lastname@example.org)|
For Library instruction, the Library usually receives information from the Academic Registry in advance about students requiring special needs, and the instructor will make appropriate arrangements accordingly.
For the details of the relevant facilities available in the Shek Mun Campus Library, please click on this link.
Last updated: 30 June 2022