Major renovation work at the Main Library will commence at the end of Semester 2
With funding support from the UGC’s AA&I programme, extensive renovation of Levels 6 and 7 of the Au Shue Hung Memorial Library is scheduled to begin at the conclusion of Semester 2 of AY22/23.
With works of this scope and scale, disruption and disturbance will be unavoidable. However, the outcome will be a modern space that will greatly enhance the Library’s environment for the benefit of the HKBU community.
This page will serve as a central hub for information relating to the space enhancement project and will be updated regularly. We thank everyone at HKBU in advance for their patience and understanding.
|Closure of Levels 6 & 7||14 May 2023|
|Packing & removal of books||14 May – 18 Jul 2023|
|Renovation works||19 Jul 2023 – 31 Mar 2024|
Please note: The above dates are subject to change depending on the actual progress of the project. Any changes will be announced as soon as possible.
How will this affect you?
⛔ No access to Levels 6 & 7
Levels 6 and 7 will be closed to all users on 14 May 2023 until the renovation is completed.
⛔ Limited access to books currently on Levels 6 & 7
Books located on these two floors will be removed. Most of these books will not be accessible for the entire renovation period.
What action(s) should you take?
For academic & research staff
- Designate books as Course Readings; these will be kept at the User Services Counter on Level 3.
- Borrow books you may need for the next academic year now. The loan quota limit for academic staff has been removed.
- Share this news with your students and colleagues so they are aware of the arrangements before the renovation starts.
- Borrow books you may need for the next academic year. The Library offers generous loan quotas and loan periods to students.
- Share this news with your classmates so they are aware and prepared before the renovation starts.
Other mitigation actions by the Library
- Placing a limited number of high-use items from Levels 6 and 7 into retrievable storage on Level 1.
- Subscribe/purchase e-versions of some high-use books moved into storage.
- Liaise with the Estates Office to open up more study spaces on campus.
- Promote our existing Interlibrary Loan and HKALL services that allow users to obtain materials from other institutions.
If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions relating to the space enhancement project, please feel free to let us know via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: 19 January 2023