To provide a better study environment based on the principle of mutual respect, the Library pledges to consistently enforce its User Behaviour Policy in order to discourage the following undesirable behaviours:
- Eating, drinking, and/or displaying food or drinks, except in the Academic Commons for those food and drinks that are allowed
- Making excessive noise in open areas and causing disturbance to others
- Borrowing a Library card from others
- Lending a Library card to others
- Defacing or intentionally damaging Library materials, equipment, and furnishings
- Intentionally taking Library materials out of the Library without checking them out
- Any other improper behaviour causing annoyance / disturbance to other users and staff members in the Library or disrupting the normal operations of the Library
Users that persistently engage in the above undesirable behaviours will be penalized according to the table below:
|Infringement||No. of incidents recorded||Action(s) to be taken**|
|Making noise causing disturbance to other users||3||Library privileges suspended for 2 weeks|
|Eating and/or drinking in non-designated areas||2||Library privileges suspended for 2 weeks|
|Eating and/or drinking items in the Academic Commons other than those that are allowed*||2||Library privileges suspended for 2 weeks|
|Borrowing or lending University ID card (between members of the HKBU community)||2||Library privileges suspended for 4 weeks|
|Lending University ID card (to someone outside the HKBU community)||1||Library privileges suspended for 4 weeks|
|Mutilation or theft of library material||1||Library privileges suspended for 4 weeks. User’s School/Department/Office of Student Affairs will be notified as appropriate|
|Other improper behavior causing annoyance/ disturbance to other users and/or staff members or disrupting the normal operations of the Library||1||Library privileges suspended for a period of time at the discretion of the Library Administration as deemed appropriate|
* Items allowed are similar to those provided by the vending machine in the Library’s Academic Commons. Refer to the Library’s Food & Drink Policy for details.
** Based on the specific circumstances, Library staff on duty may exercise their discretion to issue a warning to users that commit an infringement instead of formally recording the incident. All records will be kept in the Library from September to August of the academic year and will be refreshed at the commencement of the next academic year.
Library privileges include access to the Main Library and branch libraries, as well as borrowing privileges and remote access to the Library’s subscribed e-resources.
The Library reserves the right to amend this User Behaviour Policy. For enquiries, please contact the duty librarian at the Information Desk or call 3411-7363.
Last updated: 29 October 2019