This policy provides details of how HKBU Library engages in the use of social media. All Library social media activities are intended to support the Library’s stated mission, which is to support teaching, learning, and research activities of the University. Specific goals include:
- Engagement with HKBU students, staff, faculty, alumni, and other members of the HKBU community, as well as with the wider public where appropriate.
- Cultivation of open and professional communication with our patrons.
- Promotion of the value of the Library’s services, collections and facilities, and the highlighting of Library events and happenings.
- Promotion of information literacy and lifelong learning skills.
- Promotion of the University’s research output in order to increase the impact of HKBU’s scholarly communication efforts.
- Provision of an effective reference and general enquiry services via social media to enhance convenience for patrons.
Administration and General Guidelines
New content is posted on a regular basis to the Library’s social media accounts by members of the Library’s Marketing & Communications Team. Social media chat channels used for reference and enquiry services are constantly monitored during office hours by staff from the Library’s Information Services Section.
Various different writing styles may be employed depending on the specific context, however the following guidelines will generally be observed by Library staff writing for social media:
- Be timely.
- Be as concise as possible and provide links for further information when necessary.
- Use images and videos to promote/further describe the topic when applicable.
- Use familiar words and avoid the use of jargon.
- Use hashtags for drawing user attention and information organization as appropriate.
- Give proper credit to sources and pay attention to intellectual property rights and copyright issues.
Likes, Friends, and Follows
The Library may “follow”, “retweet”, and/or share content from social media accounts that are:
- Affiliated with other units/offices of the University
- HKBU-affiliated faculty members / students
- Library or academic related
- Of possible interest to the HKBU community and/or the library profession
Comments on the Library’s social media accounts are open to all. The Library is not responsible or liable for any content created by users in comment sections or in their mentions of the Library on social media platforms. The Library reserves the right to remove any comment if, in the sole judgement of the Library, it attacks, threatens, or discriminates against other users or user groups, or if they are spam or otherwise off-topic.
Users are cautioned to exercise their own judgement about the reliability and credibility of any information they find on social media.
Please contact the Library at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions about this policy.
Last updated: 02 July 2020